Home›Articles›Charlemagne, the Nuns, and the RevolutionArticlesCharlemagne, the Nuns, and the RevolutionCitation FormatsGeneral ReferenceGeneral Reference Citation TextDivinity Atlas. "Charlemagne, the Nuns, and the Revolution." Accessed August 30, 2026. https://dev-divinity.interactiveatlas.org/articles/basilica-of-saint-denys-argenteuil-charlemagne-the-nuns-and-the-revolution.Copy General ReferenceAPA StyleAPA Style Citation TextDivinity Atlas. (n.d.). Charlemagne, the Nuns, and the Revolution. Retrieved August 30, 2026, from https://dev-divinity.interactiveatlas.org/articles/basilica-of-saint-denys-argenteuil-charlemagne-the-nuns-and-the-revolutionCopy APA StyleBibTeXBibTeX Citation Text@misc{divinityatlas-charlemagne-the-nuns-and-the-revolution, author = {Divinity Atlas}, title = {Charlemagne, the Nuns, and the Revolution}, year = {2026}, url = {https://dev-divinity.interactiveatlas.org/articles/basilica-of-saint-denys-argenteuil-charlemagne-the-nuns-and-the-revolution}, note = {Accessed August 30, 2026} }Copy BibTeXLearn MoreCross-Tradition ConnectionsSourcesComments (0)Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)Learn MoreCharlemagne, the Nuns, and the Revolution The Argenteuil tradition holds that the tunic came west as an imperial gift: the Byzantine empress Irene is said to have sent it to Charlemagne, who around the year 800 gave it to his daughter Theodrade, a nun and later abbess at Argenteuil. During the Viking raids on the Seine the nuns reportedly walled the relic up for safety, and it was found again by the monks of the priory of Saint-Denys around 1156, after which its record at Argenteuil is continuous. Its most dramatic escape came during the French Revolution, when the parish priest Ozet, fearing the relic would be seized and destroyed, cut the tunic into several pieces and hid them separately; after the Terror the surviving fragments were recovered and sewn back together, which accounts for the garment's present patched state. The current basilica of Saint-Denys, a neo-Romanesque church, was built between 1862 and 1866 specifically to shelter the tunic and to accommodate the crowds who come to venerate it.Cross-Tradition ConnectionsArticle OnBasilica of Saint-Denys, Argenteuil, Sacred Sites Well-attested Source Divinity Atlas Long-Form Articles, First Editiontier 1SourcesDivinity Atlas Long-Form Articles, First Editiontier 1Comments (0)No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.Sign in to join the discussion.Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.Sign in to dispute this or suggest a correction.View At A Past YearThe atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.Show This Year