Divinity Atlas

Sacred Correspondences
Sacred Art & Iconography

Dwelling in the Fuchun Mountains

Literati Landscape Painting

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

Dwelling in the Fuchun Mountains is an ink wash handscroll painted between 1348 and 1350 by Huang Gongwang, one of the Four Masters of the Yuan dynasty, in his late seventies and early eighties. Painted as a gift for a Daoist priest, Zheng Wuyong, it depicts an idealized panorama of the Fuchun River valley near Hangzhou and is widely regarded as one of the masterworks of Chinese landscape painting. The complete scroll originally measured 691.3 centimeters in length. In 1650, its owner Wu Hongyu, on his deathbed, attempted to burn the painting so it would accompany him into the afterlife; his nephew rescued it from the fire, but not before it had torn into two pieces. The larger piece, the Master Wuyong Scroll, 33 by 636.9 centimeters, is held today by the National Palace Museum in Taipei; the smaller fragment, The Remaining Mountain, 31.8 by 51.4 centimeters, is held by the Zhejiang Provincial Museum in Hangzhou. The two pieces were reunited for public display for the first time in 2011, at the National Palace Museum.

Facts
Subject Matter
Depicted Subject
An idealized panorama of the Fuchun River valley near Hangzhou, rendered in flowing, repeatedly reworked ink brushwork rather than close topographical fidelity. Huang Gongwang, a follower of the Quanzhen school of Daoism who had withdrawn from public life and taken the sobriquet Dachi Daoren, "Great Fool Daoist," treated expression of his own feeling for the landscape as his aim rather than depicting it exactly as it appeared. The painting is closely read in Chinese art history as a visual expression of Daoist philosophy: its loose, spontaneous brushwork and its subject, an artist's private retreat into an idealized wilderness, are read as embodying the Daoist ideals of withdrawal from public ambition and harmony with the natural order, rather than illustrating any specific Daoist deity, ritual or text. 2
Devotional Function
Not a devotional or liturgical object; a personal gift between the artist and a Daoist friend, embodying rather than instructing in Daoist ideals of withdrawal from worldly ambition and harmony with the natural world. 2
Custody
Current LocationSourced to the subject's own account
National Palace Museum, Taipei, Taiwan (Master Wuyong Scroll); Zhejiang Provincial Museum, Hangzhou, China (The Remaining Mountain) 1
Current CustodianSourced to the subject's own account
National Palace Museum, Taipei, and Zhejiang Provincial Museum, Hangzhou 1
Custody HistorySourced to the subject's own account
Passed through a series of owners after 1350. Nearly destroyed in 1650 when owner Wu Hongyu attempted to burn it on his deathbed so it would accompany him into the afterlife, an act his nephew interrupted after the scroll had already torn into two pieces. The two resulting pieces entered separate collections and were not displayed together again until a joint exhibition at the National Palace Museum in 2011. The painting is widely ranked among the masterworks of Chinese landscape painting and studied as a defining statement of the Yuan dynasty's literati painting tradition, in which an artist's withdrawal from public office into Daoist inflected landscape painting was itself treated as a meaningful act. 1
Physical Form
MediumSourced to the subject's own account
Ink wash on paper, handscroll 1
DimensionsSourced to the subject's own account
Originally 691.3 centimeters in length overall; the two surviving pieces measure 33 by 636.9 centimeters (Master Wuyong Scroll) and 31.8 by 51.4 centimeters (The Remaining Mountain) 1
Origins
CreationSourced to the subject's own account
1348 to 1350 1
Date of CreationSourced to the subject's own account
1348 to 1350 1
Commissioned By
Painted as a gift for Zheng Wuyong, a Daoist priest and friend of the artist, presented to him on completion in 1350. 2
Learn More
A Gift From One Daoist Recluse to Another

This article records tradition as it has been passed down and reported. Its sources are not yet part of the atlas's verified catalogue.

Huang Gongwang withdrew from public office around 1329, took up the Quanzhen school of Daoism and adopted the sobriquet Dachi Daoren, Great Fool Daoist, a name that mocks the ambition he had left behind. Nearly twenty years later, in his late seventies, he began a handscroll for a fellow Daoist, a priest named Zheng Wuyong, painting intermittently over three to four years as he traveled the Fuchun River valley near Hangzhou. He finished it in 1350 and gave it to Wuyong as a gift, not a commission in the ordinary sense but an offering between two men who had each chosen withdrawal from the world over standing within it. The painting itself avoids topographical exactness in favor of loose, repeatedly reworked ink brushwork; Huang is recorded as caring more for expressing his own feeling toward the landscape than for reproducing it faithfully. That priority, expression over likeness, is itself read by later Chinese art historians as a Daoist commitment carried into technique: a painting that behaves the way its subject, harmony with nature rather than mastery over it, asks a person to behave. The scroll Huang handed to his friend in 1350 would go on to survive a fire, a forced division into two pieces, and six centuries of separate custody before either half.

Burned on a Deathbed, Reunited Three Centuries Later

This article records tradition as it has been passed down and reported. Its sources are not yet part of the atlas's verified catalogue.

By 1650 the painting had passed down through three centuries of owners to a collector named Wu Hongyu, who loved it enough that, dying, he ordered it burned so it could accompany him into the afterlife. His nephew pulled the scroll from the fire before it was destroyed, but not before it had already torn into two unequal pieces. The larger piece, later called the Master Wuyong Scroll after the Daoist priest Huang Gongwang had originally painted it for, eventually reached the National Palace Museum in Taipei. The smaller fragment, called The Remaining Mountain, went to what is now the Zhejiang Provincial Museum in Hangzhou, on the Chinese mainland. For the rest of the twentieth century the two pieces existed on opposite sides of the Taiwan Strait, in two museums shaped by the same political division that kept them apart, each holding a portion of one continuous handscroll that had not been whole since a dying man tried to take it with him. In 2011, the two institutions arranged a joint exhibition at the National Palace Museum, laying both fragments out together for visitors for the first time since 1650. The reunion, brief and logistically difficult to arrange, is now itself part of how the painting is discussed, alongside the brushwork Huang Gongwang actually intended anyone to see whole.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Belongs to Tradition

Sources
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

Choose a year to see this entry's facts and connections as the atlas records them at that moment: what it held then, what it held instead, and what it had not yet adopted. Choose Present for the current record.